Mitch: Sunday, October 14, 2012
Here’s a quick snapshot from the squatters village we visited today. This family, along with about two-dozen others, moved into a burned down abandoned building. Today was miraculous and completely insane. I don’t have reliable internet so I’ll post more tomorrow if/when I do.Here’s a brief rundown of what we did:
- Two motorcycles crashed right in front of us
- A pastor tried to get a bribe from us by lying
- We visited a squatters village and interviewed people
- We visited the AFAA house (the orphanage we got our boys from)
- We went to church and met a returned missionary that started a school and an orphanage and would love our help
- We went to a revival at the site of a massacre and mass grave from the war…that’s where the pastor asked for a bribe.
- We drove out to the edge of the city and visited another orphanage that has 88 children in it.
- While writing this I just got propositioned by a working girl 🙁 which makes me absolutely sick.
- In sacrament meeting I got emotional because I was thinking about how I couldn’t ask for a better birthday present than to be here with the goal of helping.